Thursday, July 17, 2008

What is Geocaching You Ask? Well, Let Me Tell Ya...

Ok, so I've had a couple of people ask me what geocaching is. I'll try to explain. Geocaching is an adventure game for people who own a GPS (Global Positioning System-- It's a handheld electronic device that can determine your approximate location within 10-20 ft on the planet)
The basic idea of the game is to have someone or some organization hide or set up a cache (usually a small box or film canister) and share the location, using coordinates, on the internet. Anyone that has a GPS can seek out these caches and when found there are usually little trinkets inside which the visitor can take and replace with their own trinket. Most of the caches my parents have found are camoflaged and tough to find even with the coordinates and they include a log book for visitors to sign and date. My dad is really into this game because he Loves puzzles and he's really good at them. He uses a site on the internet where local people post their cache locations by using cryptograms. Some of the puzzles and clues are REALLY hard to decipher, but my dad can usually figure them out. Geocaches are found all over the world. If you like puzzles and have a GPS, you should check the internet to see what caches have been placed in your area.

3 comments:

Lynell said...

That is so cool. My boys had a scouting activity geocaching. I had never even heard of such a thing. Wow! That is amazing and so fun. I wonder if their are any hidden treasures here in my neighborhood. Fun to think about.

Erin said...

We had a blast geocaching with your dad and all the kids last summer! What a Blast!

Patrick and I have gone only a few times here in Utah. BUT we found one across the street at a park. They are EVERYWHERE!

What a fun hobby!

Cheryl said...

I think I know what my dad is getting for Christmas now!!! How fun!

If these slide shows aren't going, just click the "x" in the top right hand corner...

This is a great video! Prophets Speaking About the Second Coming ( Be sure to pause my music 1st)