
This week's Sunday School lesson included chapters 23-29 of Alma. I teach Gospel Doctrine in our branch, so I get the benefit of studying the lesson with the help of the teachers manuel. I have always loved the story of the Anti-Nephi-Lehis burying their weapons in a covenant with God to never take up arms to kill again. I enjoyed reading the chapters, but I really learned the most today in class. We had a really good discussion about how we can relate what the Anti-Nephi-Lehis did to ourselves in our own lives.
We talked about the significance of them burying their weapons deep in the earth instead of just laying them aside. We all have our own "weapons of rebellion" so to speak, that we don't want to bury just yet; weaknesses that we hold on to, that keep us from true conversion.
We know from Alma 23:6 that the Anti-Nephi-Lehis were so converted that "they never did fall away." They were distinguished for their zeal and faith even among members of the church. They became a highly favored people of the Lord.
When baptized, many people give up much because of their conversion to Christ, but like lifetime members of the church, they may have trouble burying their former "weapons of rebellion" completely. As members of the church we can help our friends much like the Nephites helped the Anti-Nephi-Lehis. In chapter 27, The Amalakites are angry with the them and were about to come up against them when the king asked Ammon to approach the Nephites for a place to stay. They gave them the land of Jershon and positioned themselves between the Lamanites and the Anti-Nephi-Lehis so as to protect them.
We can give the new members somewhere else to turn for safety and love. Some alternative to breaking their covenants with God. We can position ourselves between them and whatever would pull them away from becoming converted.
I have been feeling for a long time the Lord calling me to be better than I have been. I think of Amulek in Chapter 10 of Alma telling the people that the Lord had called him many times, but he would not hear. He knew, but would not know. Do you feel the Spirit prompting you to rise up and be better? I know we can all do better. President Hinckley encouraged us often to try a little harder to be a little better. I know that the Lord has great blessings in store for us if we will bury our "weapons of rebellion" whatever they may be; to cast off whatever is holding us back from progressing. I think if we could get a vision of what our Heavenly Father sees in us, if we could see and understand the love our Savior has for us, our commitment and conversion to Christ would be stronger.
I love teaching Gospel Doctrine. I love learning from others. Everyone has different insights. It has also helped me get into a pattern of reading and studying everyday and I can see the blessings from that simple step.
We talked about the significance of them burying their weapons deep in the earth instead of just laying them aside. We all have our own "weapons of rebellion" so to speak, that we don't want to bury just yet; weaknesses that we hold on to, that keep us from true conversion.
We know from Alma 23:6 that the Anti-Nephi-Lehis were so converted that "they never did fall away." They were distinguished for their zeal and faith even among members of the church. They became a highly favored people of the Lord.
When baptized, many people give up much because of their conversion to Christ, but like lifetime members of the church, they may have trouble burying their former "weapons of rebellion" completely. As members of the church we can help our friends much like the Nephites helped the Anti-Nephi-Lehis. In chapter 27, The Amalakites are angry with the them and were about to come up against them when the king asked Ammon to approach the Nephites for a place to stay. They gave them the land of Jershon and positioned themselves between the Lamanites and the Anti-Nephi-Lehis so as to protect them.
We can give the new members somewhere else to turn for safety and love. Some alternative to breaking their covenants with God. We can position ourselves between them and whatever would pull them away from becoming converted.
I have been feeling for a long time the Lord calling me to be better than I have been. I think of Amulek in Chapter 10 of Alma telling the people that the Lord had called him many times, but he would not hear. He knew, but would not know. Do you feel the Spirit prompting you to rise up and be better? I know we can all do better. President Hinckley encouraged us often to try a little harder to be a little better. I know that the Lord has great blessings in store for us if we will bury our "weapons of rebellion" whatever they may be; to cast off whatever is holding us back from progressing. I think if we could get a vision of what our Heavenly Father sees in us, if we could see and understand the love our Savior has for us, our commitment and conversion to Christ would be stronger.
I love teaching Gospel Doctrine. I love learning from others. Everyone has different insights. It has also helped me get into a pattern of reading and studying everyday and I can see the blessings from that simple step.









3 comments:
What a wonderful post. I bet you are a great teacher. Thanks for the inspirational thoughts.
Have a great day.
This weeks lesson really made me think. I want to have that kind of conviction. It is so wonderful to read the scriptures and gain strength from them.
Isn't it great how each story in the scriptures has a hidden message for us to find? I love it! Lots of time (especially in Alma) I feel like, here we go again, wars, wars and more wars. But when you apply it to life there is a rich lesson to learn.
Post a Comment