Friday, August 22, 2008
I Spoke Too Soon...
I guess I spoke too soon. The first day of school was great for Eli.I found the reason for this being because he was not aware apparently that he had to go back everyday. He has had a really rough time getting adjusted. The school councilor has been involved trying to make him comfortable. She gave him a little squishy lizard to carry in his pocket and squeeze whenever he thinks of me. On Wednesday, I was told that he cried nearly all day. From the moment he wakes up, he is sad. Yesterday he was fine after lunch, so I had hoped we were making progress. When I dropped him off today he was a mess again. The school councilor told me it might be easier if I drop him off at the main entrance instead of walking him myself to his classroom. I let Emma take him in today, but it didn't seem to help. I'm waiting to see how he did today. If anyone has any suggestions how to help Eli please feel free to share them with me. Emma and Lilli never had a problem, but Naomi and Eli have struggled with school. I don't know why. I guess kids are just different, and I know that he will eventually get the hang of things, but it's tough to see him so upset everyday. So, any thoughts...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









3 comments:
Oh Mandy,
That must be so hard for you. I wish I had some amazing advice... but I will be calling you for advice when we have children. You are such a great mom!
We will keep little Eli in our prayers. Maybe you could tell him that all of his family, grandma, grandpa, his aunts and uncles are praying for him that Heavenly Father will help him feel brave and comfortable. Maybe this could be a great faith building experience for him in the power of prayer, even at such a young age.
OR you could bribe him with ice cream... I would do anything for ice cream! smile
We love you guys!
I was terrible my first year of school. I cried everyday to the point of throwing up. (don't you know the teacher loved me)
At first the nurse would call my mom to come and get me.... mom would pick me up and I would be fine. However, they caught on to my plan and my mom stopped coming to get me. I finally adjusted and went on to become a teacher. Go figure...
I hope that Eli will adjust soon too. Good luck.
I had to go pick up Levi (my 3rd grader) on the 3rd and 4th days of school because he said he was sick. After that 4th day I told him that wasn't allowed to call me unless he had ALREADY thrown up in the bathroom. One thing that I think helped get him throught the 5th day was reading him the children's book "The Kissing Hand." (Mama racoon gives little racoon a kiss on the hand so that whenever he is sad or scared he can put his hand to his face and get another kiss from mom.) Every day since then when I kiss him goodbye for school, he gives me his hand. It's great!
Post a Comment